Covenant of Right Relations
Adopted at the Annual Meeting, June 3, 2007
We, members of the May Memorial Unitarian Universalist Society, adopt this Covenant to guide our interactions. We come together in community and fellowship from a common belief in the inherent worth and dignity of every person. In light of this shared value we covenant to work together in creating an atmosphere of equality, trust, and compassion within our congregation and the larger community.
As a religious community that promotes and uses the democratic process, we know the well-being of our congregation rests upon each member’s willingness to participate actively in this process and to respect the outcomes of the collective wisdom that results.
As individuals, members and friends, we pledge to dwell together in the spirit of these guidelines. We aspire that this Covenant will strengthen our relationships and enlarge our sense of community. We commit to living and working with this covenant, revisiting it as needed. In this spirit, we covenant as follows:
- To foster hospitality, extending a warm welcome to all our members, friends and visitors, and work intentionally to insure that here no one is a stranger.
- To foster a community that embraces diversity in all of its manifestations within a safe, positive, and nurturing environment.
- To move beyond simple tolerance toward genuine understanding. To recognize that all people are free to make choices regarding their own personal and spiritual journeys.
- To listen attentively, seek others’ opinions, and understand that differing values do exist within our religious community.
- To deal with disagreements constructively, communicating with others in a direct, caring, and responsible manner.
- To recognize that youth are an integral part of our community and welcome them in all facets of church life.
- To express gratitude and support to the staff, church members and friends who volunteer their time and talents in support of the programs and governance activities of the church.
Although this document expresses our written promise, our true covenant exists in our actions. In times of harmony, may it deepen our bonds with one another and in times of conflict, may it guide us in working through our differences.